Completing campus-based loan forms at UCLA has never been easier. Using the Student Loan Services & Collections' (SLS&C) online electronic signature process, students who have accepted a campus-based loan offer can conveniently fill out and submit their loan forms from most any computer with internet access!
The following loans fall under the heading of campus-based:
- University/Regents Loans (institutional loans such as the Beckwith, Goldwyn, Harker, Hershey, Hollywood Canteen, Kaplan, McCoy, and Schurch Loans, etc.)
- Health Professions Student Loan (HPSL)
- Loans for Disadvantaged Students (LDS)
- Nursing Student Loan (NSL)
- Primary Care Loan (PCL)
- Robert Noyce Teacher Scholars Repayable Scholarship
- California Dream Loan*
- University Dream Loan*
- Federal Perkins Loan (or NDSL)**
If offered and you accept a campus-based loan on your Financial Aid Notification (FAN), you will be emailed a notice within 24 to 48 hours informing you that your campus-based loan promissory note is available for signing. You will be directed via a hyperlink to the SLS&C website to initiate the online process.
Step 1: Gathering Needed Information & Computer Set Up
Before beginning the process, you will need to make certain you have available the following:
- Your legal first and last name as well as date of birth
- Your Social Security Number (*when applicable)
- Home and work contact information for your spouse (if applicable)
- Home and work contact information for one of your parents/guardians/next of kin
- Home and work contact information for two references. Your references cannot be students, nor individuals living at the same address with you, your parents/guardians/next of kin or each other. You may not use as a reference the parent/guardian/next of kin you already listed. Siblings who are over 21 years of age and living on their own can be listed as references.
- Computer capable of running either:
-Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.o or better; Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or better; Apple Safari 2.0 or better
- Ability to temporarily disable any pop-up blocking software
If you have met the requirements stated above, you are ready to start the online signature process.
Step 2: Completing Your Online Documents
After following the link provided by email, you must complete various online forms relative to each loan you accepted. These online forms consist of a: Personal Data Page, Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, and Promissory Note. Additional forms include a Self-Certification Form** and TILA Disclosures**. (**not applicable to a Perkins Loan)
Personal Data Page
You will not be able to proceed without fully completing the personal data page. Some of the demographics required that make up the form are:
- Parents/Guardians/Next of Kin: You must provide the name and address of your mother/father/guardian/next of kin. If that person is not employed, you may leave the request for his/her work information blank. The same applies to the person’s email address.
- References: You must provide two personal references who: have known you for three or more years; are over 21; do not reside with you, each other, or your parents/guardians/next of kin; and are not students or anyone you already listed. Choosing a sibling as a reference is acceptable, providing that he/she meets the reference requirements above. Providing reference information is mandatory. (Please note if a reference is not employed, you may leave the request field blank. The same applies regarding his/her email address.) If you are unable to provide the required information, choose another person.
Electronically affirming and/or signing is your certification that all of the information submitted is true and correct.
Statement of Rights and Responsibilities
You will be asked to agree to what is stated in this document. In turn, it is very important that you read the Statement of Rights and Responsibilities.
This is the document that is your 'promise to pay' the loan back according to the terms outlined in the note. You will be signing it through an electronic process over the internet. It is the contract between you, the borrower, and the lender. Before signing, it is of primary importance that you read the promissory note and print a copy of it for your records.
Over the course of accepting your campus-based loan offer and in completing the associated documents, you will be presented three (3) Truth-in-Lending Act (TILA) Private Education Loan Disclosures:
- Application/Solicitation Disclosure (presented with your FAN)
- Approval Disclosure
- Final Disclosure – 3-Day Right to Cancel
Again, it is very important that you read these disclosures and keep printed copies for future reference. (**not applicable to a Perkins Loan)
All private education loan borrowers must complete a Self-Certification Form, per the Department of Education (DOE). The DOE developed this form to increase borrower understanding regarding various aspects of educational loan borrowing. (**not applicable to a Perkins Loan)
Step 3: Retain and Review Your Loan Forms
After completing your Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, Personal Data Page, Promissory Note, and Self-Certification Form**, in addition to reviewing your TILA Disclosures**, remember to keep printed copies of them in a safe, secure place for future reference. Review them periodically, especially before accepting future loans or preparing to leave UCLA as well as prior to going into repayment. (**not applicable to Perkins Loan)
UCLA attempts to provide up-to-date information in our Bruin Dollars and $ense How To Series. Please be aware that the content of this document is based upon information that was correct at the time of publication. All information pertaining to and gathered from both UCLA and other sources is subject to change without notice.